THIS NOTICE DESCRIBES HOW MEDICAL INFORMATION ABOUT YOU MAY BE USED AND DISCLOSED AND HOW YOU CAN GET ACCESS TO THIS INFORMATION.
PLEASE REVIEW IT CAREFULLY.
Effective September 1st, 2018:
The privacy of your medical information is important to us. You may be aware that US Government regulators have established a privacy rule (“HIPPA”) governing protected health information. This notice tells you about how it may be used, and about certain rights that you have.
Your Rights: Although the records containing your protected health information are the physical property of J&W Vision Associates, PLLC, the information belongs to you. By law, you have the right to:
- Inspect and obtain a copy of your protected health information. Generally, we will respond to your request within 30 days but, under certain circumstances, we may deny your request.
- Request a restriction on certain uses and disclosures of your protected health information; however, we are not required to agree to your request, and we may say no if it would affect your care, except in case of a disclosure restricted under § 164.522(a)(1)(vi).
- Request an amendment of your protected health information, if you believe it is inaccurate; however, we may deny your request for amendment if we believe your protected health information is accurate.
- Request an accounting of certain disclosures we have made, if any, of your protected health information.
- Revoke any authorization you have provided to use or disclose your protected health information except to the extent that action has already been taken in reliance on such authorization.
- Obtain a paper copy of the notice from our office upon request even if you previously agreed to receive the notice electronically.
- Ask us to contact you in a specific way (for example, home or office phone) or to send mail to a different address. We will “agree” to all reasonable requests.
Our Duties: We are required by law to:
- Abide by the terms of the notice currently in effect.
- Maintain the privacy of your protected health information information.
- Provide you with a copy of our notice of privacy practices with respect to protected health information.
- Notify affected individuals following a breach of unsecured protected health information.
- Apply any changes in our privacy practice that is described in the notice to protected health information prior to issuing a revised notice.
J&W Vision Associates, PLLC reserves the right to change the terms of our notice and to make the new notice provisions effective for all protected health information that we maintain. The revised notice will be promulgated on our website. A paper copy can be provided if requested by an individual.
If you believe your privacy rights have been violated, a complaint may filed with our Office Manager at [firstname.lastname@example.org] or call 512-580-9035
Alternatively, you can file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office for Civil Rights by sending a letter to “200 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20201”, calling 1-877-696-6775, or visiting U.S. Department of Health & Human Services Website. We will not retaliate against you for filing a complaint.
How We May Use and Disclose Your Protected Health Information:
The following are the examples of the types of uses and disclosures of your protected health information that are permitted:
Treatment: We may use and disclose your protected health information to provide, coordinate or manage your health care and any related services. For example, we may disclose your protected health information to the doctors or technicians that care for you, even if the doctors or technicians are not affiliated with J&W Vision Associates, PLLC.
Payment: Your protected health information may be disclosed, as needed, to obtain payment from your insurance company or other person/party responsible for payment for services we provide to you. For example, we may disclose your protected health information to your health plan provider to determine your eligibility or coverage for insurance benefits.
Health Care Operations: We may use or disclose your protected health information for our internal operations, which include activities necessary to operate the sites or programs from which you receive services. For example, we may use your protected health information for quality improvement services to evaluate the care or other services provided to you. We may also use your protected health information to evaluate the skills and qualifications of our health care providers, or to resolve grievances within our organization.
Appointment Reminders and Treatment Alternatives: We may use and disclose your protected health information to provide a reminder to you about an appointment you have with us for treatment or medical care. We may also use or disclose your protected health information to tell you about or recommend possible treatment options or alternatives, or inform you of other health-related benefits that may be of interest to you.
Wherever we collect sensitive information (such as credit card data or health history), that information is encrypted and transmitted to us in a secure way, such as the Secure Socket Layer (SSL) protocol. All forms have 256 bit encryption to securely transmit information.
We take appropriate security measures to protect against unauthorized access to or unauthorized alteration, disclosure or destruction of data. These include internal reviews of our data collection, storage and processing practices and security measures, as well as physical security measures to guard against unauthorized access to systems where we store personal data.
When you use our website, our servers automatically record information that your browser sends whenever you visit a website. These server logs may include information such as your web request, Internet Protocol address, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and one or more cookies that may uniquely identify your browser.
Cookies enable us to customize your browsing experience and speed up website load times. You have the ability to accept or decline cookies at any time. If you decline cookies, you do not have access to the benefits of a custom web browsing experience.
Social Media Policy
Changes to This Policy